Engineering Technician – Elgin, ILSkills:
- Very good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to identify test machine faults and electrical component failures is a plus.
- Basic understanding of PLC and VFD controls is a plus.
- Able to work independently and, when needed, as part of the team.
- High integrity, highly responsible, methodical, and open-minded.
- Good coordination, interpersonal, communication, and persuasion skills.
- Customer and result oriented.
- Ability to work independent, as well as in a team, and to work on an interdisciplinary basis.
- Ability to think critically and solve problems.
- Prepare informal, and formal, tests reports for both internal and external customers.
- Perform testing on prototypes, existing, and competitor products following written test procedures and instructions from testing documents.
- Conduct tests to stated criteria involving mechanical, electrical, and environmental functions.
- Assist in assembly and implementation of test equipment.
- Perform routine maintenance of lab test equipment and tools.
- Purchase laboratory supplies and test fixtures.
- Work with, and setup, transducers for pressure, load, torque, strain gage measurements, and thermocouples. Knowledge of principles of temperature measurement using bi-metal junction and infrared equipment.
- Capable of using precision hand measurement instruments.
- Participate in SKF's safety practices and maintain a safe work environment.
- Actively nourish a culture of continuous improvement in order to improve the efficiency of the laboratory activities in the interest of SKF (Familiarity with: Maintenance Excellence program, 5S, VSM…).
- Develop and maintain operational procedures and instructions for efficient use of the laboratory equipment and facilities to ensure reliability, accuracy and traceability of the results (Familiar with the quality systems: ISO 9001, TS 19649, ISO 17025).
- 2 or 4 year college degree related to technical Field (mechanical engineering, engineering technology, automotive industry etc.)
- 2-3 years of working experience as a Engineering Technician (mechanical systems).
Additional Skills Desired:
- Work with PLC and HMI controls and programming.
- Work with AC and DC industrial motors and controls, such as VFDs for specific speed and torque requirements.
- Work with National Instruments LabVIEW for data acquisition, specifically CompactDAQ.
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC), NFPA Code 70(A,B,E) and 79, UL 508A and CE requirements.
SKF USA Inc. offers an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a unique career opportunity in a global organization. Our competitive compensation package includes: 401K with company match, profit sharing, PTO, tuition program and comprehensive health plans.